Marriage is an intimate community of life and love between a man and a woman which is directed toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of children. By the design of God who created human nature, marriage is both permanent and exclusive.

For a Catholic to be in a valid marriage recognized by the Church, he or she must be married in a Catholic Church Worship Building with a priest or deacon present (unless a dispensation is granted).

If an individual is presently divorced and not cohabitating or remarried, he or she is, in fact, free to participate in the Sacraments of the Catholic Church.

Whether Catholic or non-Catholic, if an individual has been previously married, he or she needs to have the previous union(s) nullified before they can enter into a recognized marriage in the Catholic Church. This process can be tedious but can lead to a great amount of healing. Our trained staff will assist you in any way possible to make this process easier for you.

Children born to a marriage which later is declared invalid are considered legitimate in every way. It is against the practice of the Church to judge children in the light of their parent’s marital status, whether that union be valid or invalid.

When an individual is in a marriage not recognized by the Church, he or she is prohibited by the law of the Church from receiving the Sacraments, including Communion.

The fees for seeking a nullity are anywhere from $10 - $450. The diocese will bill you when your case has been presented and accepted. Inability to pay the fee will not delay or interfere with the processing of your nullity. The entire process takes between one week to one year (depending on your individual situation).

Anyone who is uncertain about his or her marital status or desires greater clarity concerning such issues should contact the parish office. The complexity of these issues requires individual attention by a priest, advocate, or tribunal.

All persons seeking a nullity are to contact the Pastor at St. Jerome Parish Office. They will then be assigned an advocate to assist in the processing of their case.